To take my piece that one step extra, I decided to match what was being said on screen with a variety of scents. Smell is the sense most associated with memory and are likely to take visitors on their own jaunts down memory lane. I used the Art of scent as my main point of smell research as it did just that. However, I didn’t want to just buy essential oils or mass-produced smells. I decided that the only way to get a unique smell was making it yourself. So I looked back over my old science notes from school and came across steam distillation which if done correctly, produces essential oils. And I then decided to make my own rig. Which for the most part worked, despite having a few system failures.
The Scent Creation which consisted of over 150 hours of experimentation, testing dilution percentages and ingredients proportions (which allowed me to refine the smells). These smells were unlabeled given to some people to sample (if that is the correct term). This then would allow me to test
1) if the scents did smell as they were intended
2) if the scents were overpowering
3) if the scent evoked any memories (the whole point of this project)
Along with the creation of my scents, I had to create a system that would allow me to control when the specific scent gets dispersed at a desired time. The reasoning for this set up is to allow the audience to be fully encompassed in my piece.
I contacted my friend in robotics and say the best way to do something this ambitious is to use an Arduino. Arduino is an open-source platform used for building electronics projects. Arduino consists of both a physical programmable circuit board and a piece of software that runs on your computer, used to write and upload computer code to the physical board.
This would allow me to upload a timed circuit to this portable board to which I could hook up some bought air freshener units. Introducing our S3 System.